First Evangelical Lutheran Church over 150+ years
We give thanks for the faithful members of St. Paul’s, Holy Trinity and First Evangelical Lutheran churches who have served their Lord, his church, and the world. We give thanks for the witness of pastors and members through the years. Most of all we give thanks to God whose love and grace have sustained us this far and who continues with us in our present and future ministry. We let our thanks be heard as praise to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
St. Paul’s Lutheran Parish
St. Paul’s Lutheran in Humberstone was organized. Services were held in a Methodist chapel until their own church was built. Property was purchased on Cranberry St. (now Elm St.)
In 1863 the first constitution of the church was adopted.
Sunday school was formed with German being the language for the first forty years.
The first church building was completed at the end of 1863. Dedicated took place on January 24th 1864. The first Pastor was Rev. Alex Kuhs. The parish became a member of the German Canada Synod.
Cemetery property was purchased in Bethel on Chippewa Rd. to become St. Paul’s Cemetery.
The church was re-dedicated following the turning of the building and a new foundation being laid. The tower and high spire were added at this time.
Holy Trinity Lutheran
Holy Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed. It was located on King St.
By the 1920’s St. Paul’s and Holy Trinity were both worshipping in English. They amalgamated into the present First Evangelical Lutheran Church. Holy Trinity became the Parish Hall for First Evangelical Lutheran.
Renovation and Expansion
The new church building was built around the former structure. Memorial stained glass windows were installed. The present spire was added to the tower. The bell from Holy Trinity was added to the tower. It continues to be rung to this day as a symbol of unity of the two congregations.
Dedication took place in June 1941.
The new parsonage was dedicated, replacing the old one on Union St.
Church Hall and Sunday School building
The Parish Hall (former Holy Trinity Church) was sold in 1953 to the Optimist Club. The new Parish Hall was completed and dedicated in 1955
The new office building was dedicated.
Accessible ramp and washroom are completed.
150 year Celebration
First Evangelical Lutheran celebrates 150 years.